The ATA provides many opportunities for members to compete at a variety of levels. Currently, there are five classifications of tournaments. The classifications are:
- Class AAA Tournament: World Championships hosted by the Grand Master of Songahm Taekwondo in Little Rock, AR.
- Class AA Tournament: Fall and Spring Nationals hosted by the Grand Master of Songahm Taekwondo and the Pan American Games, hosted by Chief Master Cesar Ozuna. Check ataonline.com for the date of these events each year.
- Class A Regional Tournament: Regional Tournaments hosted around the country by qualifying ATA Licensee.
- Class B Regional Tournament: Regional Tournaments hosted around the country by qualifying ATA Licensee.
- Class C Tournament: In-School Tournaments hosted by individual ATA Licensee.
Aspects of Competition
There are currently eight different competitive events in which a student can compete at every ATA sanctioned tournament. Those events are:
- Traditional Forms.
- Traditional Point Sparring / Traditional One-Steps.
- Traditional Weapons.
- ATA-Xtreme Forms.
- ATA-Xtreme Weapons.
- ATA-Creative Forms.
- ATA-Creative Weapons.
- ATA-Combat Weapons Sparring.
There are currently two team competitions in which to compete at every ATA sanctioned tournament. Those events are:
- Team Sparring
- Team Combat Sparring
Participants are not required to compete in all aspects of competition. The student should consult his/her instructor to determine the extent of his/her participation at every event. An instructor or judge should not force or intimidate students into something in which they are not confident.